Are you struggling to find the perfect simple snack or healthy sweet treat? During this time of year, it is difficult being surrounded by the endless cookies and baked goods while trying to stay on track! But not to worry, I’ve got you covered. Sweet Potato Toast is one of my favorite daily recipes, and it’s even a perfect pre-workout snack! This is my go-to before my morning workouts because it is light enough to prevent stomach upset, and the sweet potato provides carbohydrates for fuel.
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite things because they are so versatile! For example, they are great pre-workout fuel and post-workout recovery. Not to mention, they taste beyond delicious. You can make sweet potato toast, sweet potato fries, mashed sweet potato, sweet potato puree, baked sweet potato… the options are limitless! We (Vicky and Kristen) love these fun spuds, so checkout our instagram @Lift.Eat.Thrive for more sweet potato recipes!
Before you go, we have something exciting to share! For those of the crew participating in the 12 Days of Christmas CrossFit workout this Saturday, December 15th, keep a lookout for a 6-foot-1 blonde girl named Kristen….that’s me! I am travelling from Maryland to Pittsburgh to join all of you at Arsenal Strength with my friend Vicky, who is my co-partner of @Lift.Eat.Thrive! I am super excited to be there and meet everyone!
Now for the recipe, which I will be eating without a doubt before this Saturday’s workout! (Vicky better have her pantry stocked!)
Sweet Potato Toast:
- 1 Sweet Potato
- Dark Chocolate (or sub Lily’s Stevia Sweetened Chocolate Chips)
- Almond Butter
- Coconut Butter
- Coconut Flakes
- …any toppings you want! Sweet or Savory
- Slice sweet potato thinly lengthwise (¼ inch thick)
- Microwave for 1-2 minutes in a damp paper towel until soft (time cooked depends on thickness)
- Place in toaster for 30-60 seconds (keep an eye on it) until slightly browned and toasted
- Sprinkle some salt
- Toast 1: 1 tbsp Coconut butter and a chunk of 88% dark chocolate (or sub Lilys Chocolate Chips)
- Toast 2: 1 tbsp Almond Butter and Sliced Banana
My Easy Quick Pre-workout Morning Version:
- Microwave Sweet potato for 3-4 minutes (depending on size, mine are about 4″ x 2”)
- Cut in half
- Spread 1-2 tbsp Almond Butter or Coconut Butter
- Add 1-2 tbsp Lily’s Chocolate Chips and let melt
- Sprinkle with salt
- ENJOY the amazing sweet potato with oozing melted chocolate and nut butter. The perfect mix of sweet and salty!