The holiday season is officially here, with that comes lots of food, parties, presents, drinks, family, friends, and lots of potential stress. All of these things can seem overwhelming and it can be easy to fall into old bad habits or even go back to the old “I’ll just do it tomorrow”. So how do we survive? How do we not go crazy during what is supposed to be the best time of the year?
Here are three action steps to stay on top of your health and fitness!
- Plan out your meals and exercise at the start of every week.
If you have ever talked with nutrition coaches Lizz or Vicky, you know that being accountable for your food is the first step to taking control over your diet. The same goes for your exercise! If you have a Christmas dinner on Wednesday and a party on Saturday plan accordingly so that you can enjoy some food and drinks without feeling self-conscious about it!
2. Be Strategic
- Don’t go to parties hungry, be sure to eat a healthy snack or meal ahead of time. Otherwise, you’ll be more likely to overeat.
- If at all possible, don’t stand right next to the food table. Both you and I are much more likely to continue to pick at food even when we are full.
- Choose your plate wisely! Fill up half the plate with veggies and make sure to load up with some protein.
- Party at 6 pm and you normally take 5:30 pm class? Set that alarm an hour earlier and make sure to get to the gym in the am. Still not an option? Pack some clothes and go for a long walk/run during your lunch break. Remember something is better than nothing!
3. Start working towards your 2020 goals now!
What better way to stay motivated during the holidays than taking steps towards a new or existing goal! In December we generally reflect on what’s went well over the past year, what we fell short on, and where we want to be this time next year. Once we have done this then the next best thing to do is get started working towards where we want to be. There is no reason to wait until it is officially 2020!
Ready to make 2020 the year you finally hit that weight loss goal or PR your back squat/5k time? Don’t wait, click here to sit down with one of our professional coaches and get started today!