Who doesn’t love Tacos?!?! I can tell you that I sure do. I kid you not, my family ordered Mexican food for three Christmases in a row. …mmmMMmmm, Chips and Quesoooo… To satisfy this taco romance, I created this healthy and simple spin on that holiday take-out!
I grew up a multi-sport athlete where diet wasn’t something I ever had to consider. Then, I got to college and was dealing with a severe injury that decreased my activity level and had a huge impact on my life. My go-to foods were Nutella sandwiches, chocolate croissants, and dozens of cookies. I routinely baked a Funfetti cake and eat it all in one sitting. The next day, I baked another! Clearly, I have a major sweet tooth and I’m a chocoholic. It wasn’t until college that I realized a dozen chocolate chip cookies from the cafeteria wasn’t ideal. Suddenly, the freshman 15 appeared, and that was when I discovered the Paleo diet.
Paleo has not only made me healthier, but also became a fun hobby! I have always loved cooking and when I substituted healthy ingredients to make my favorite foods, it gave me a challenge I was always excited to take on. With Paleo, not only did I start feeding my body the nutrients it needed, especially as an athlete, but it also cut back my caloric intake, resulting in lean muscle and a loss of 10 lbs of fat. To me, Paleo isn’t a diet but a healthy lifestyle. It twisted my taste buds into craving real, wholesome foods while also keeping my body healthy and fueled. I also had the ability to eat more volume of whole foods!! Now when I try processed foods, they actually taste like chemicals.
– Kristen Larrick
For more content and recipes, follow us on Instagram @lift.eat.thrive
Now for the recipe! This Paleo Taco Bowl is my go-to lunch prep because of how simple it is to make! Not only that, but it contains your protein, vegetables, carbohydrates, and fats needed to fuel you for the day!
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Active Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 packag riced cauliflower
- 1lb ground turkey or beef
- McCormick Taco seasoning
- 1 red onion,
- 2 bell peppers (any colors of preference)
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 3 cups spinach
- ½ cup cilantro🌶️
- Goat cheese (not Paleo) or dairy free cheese
- ½ avocado🥑
- Siete Foods Paleo Tortilla Chips
- Dice the red onion, bell peppers, and jalapeno and cook in pan with McCormick Taco Seasoning (this is to your liking, I love the extra flavor so I probably use about 3 tbsp) on medium heat until soft, but not entirely cooked through
- Throw in 1 lb ground turkey or beef and cook through with more Taco Seasoning (the vegetables will continue to cook at this time)
- At the final 2 minutes of cooking the ground turkey/beef, throw in the 3 cups of spinach until fully cooked and mixed. Be sure to add the spinach1 cup at a time since it has a lot of volume and will overflow the pan.
- Mix in ½ cup cilantro and save some for garnish.
- Microwave the Cauliflower rice in a microwave safe dish for 3-4 minutes until soft
- Combine the cauliflower rice and ground beef/vegetables in a bowl
- Add ½ avocado, Sriracha (to your liking of spiciness), and cilantro for garnish.