The CrossFit Open is Over- What’s Next?
First, allow me to congratulate everyone on an INCREDIBLE effort during the Open this year. I was absolutely amazed by the strength, speed, and skill PRs demonstrated by the amazing crew at Arsenal. For instance, Jennie did not only her first, but MANY chest to bar pull ups next to me during 19.5. I nearly got so distracted in my excitement for her that I stopped what I was doing! The same day, Becky did 45 pound thrusters for the first time. Not only that, but Vince absolutely CRUSHED it doing muscle ups in 19.4, and Julia and Travis amazed us with their rowing and wallball skills. (However, I think my quads are still traumatized from that workout).
With those accomplishments in mind, we all are moving on to new goals. For example, you may have chosen to participate in the Summer Shred. (Who doesn’t want that six pack for the beach? And no, I don’t mean the fermented one). On the other hand, Shannon is leading another Strength Camp, and I can’t wait to join her! Those who completed it last year saw incredible gains. Or perhaps, you are looking forward to focusing on your own fitness, mobility, skill work, or nutrition. Whatever you choose to do, this recipe will help you get there!
These oats are an incredible start to your day and beyond easy to meal prep! If you have kiddos, they are going to love this too. In addition, for those of us looking to meet our macros while staying gluten free, this recipe is for you! For instance, I’ve been working on increasing healthy carbs to build muscle while still staying mostly Paleo, primal, and gluten free. These are certainly primal as they use steel cut oats and are gluten free! I like using steel cut oats because they are less processed than other forms of oatmeal, and they contain great fiber. The collagen gives you a healthy source of gut-healing protein. What’s more, I snuck in some chia seeds for more fiber and healthy fat. Finally, the cinnamon and cranberries add a lovely balance of flavor and crunch. Stevia is there to bring in some sweetness.
- 1 cup Steel Cut Oats. I used Bob’s Red Mill for this recipe, but any brand will do! Trader Joe’s has a great deal on organic oats!
- 2.5 cups unsweetened almond milk – save 1/2 to top at the end!
- 2 cups water
- 4 tbsp chia seeds
- 4 scoops Neocell Super Collagen (you could substitute any brand of collagen or 1 scoop any protein powder)
- 1-2 tbsp cinnamon
- Stevia, molasses, or honey to sweeten to taste
- 1.5 cups whole fresh cranberries
Steps to Delicious:
- First, mix together the oats, water, and almond milk. You can set these to cook on low overnight in a slow cooker OR for 12 min on high in the Instant Pot.
- Once done cooking, add the remaining ingredients. It’s important to have the extra almond milk so everything combines well.
- Finally, separate into 4 containers for 4 hearty morning breakfast! (Or great post-workout, on the go, snacks!)
Fats: 8.5 g
– Sat: 1 g
– Polyunsaturated: 2.5 g
– Monounsaturated: 0.3 g
Carbs: 39.5 g
– Fiber: 12.7 g
– Sugar: 1.5 g
– Added Sugar: 0
Protein: 17.7 g
Don’t forget to check us out on Instagram- @lift.eat.thrive!
– Vicky Reiser